THAT'S MA JAM

Saturday 1 February 2014

If I were to give any female some life advice, it would be to never buy anything in the sale that you wouldn't be willing to pay full price for and more importantly, to listen to these song-form life affirmations in the morning to start your day right. I've listed a select few which play in a loop in the story of my life, because whenever I need to be reminded me that I'm invincible (to an extent), I throw some shapes to these...

 photo tumblr_mzy48yObmL1tqme2no1_500_zps0a3c8bd3.gif

BeyoncĂ© - Upgrade U
This entire song is a mantra I meditate to on the daily, but when Queen B uttered that iconic line "I'm known to walk alone, but I'm alone for a reason, sending me a drink ain't appeasing, believe me", was when she supplied me with nourishing nectar for my feminist brain. It was a declaration of, "I am a strong woman, who is single because I haven't met anybody good enough to stand beside me yet. So if you want to be that person, it's going to take more than sending a lame drink when you see me out." 

Adina Howard - Freak Like Me
"Come on and I will take you round the hood on a gangsta lean", is such a bossed up lyric in the sense that, driving around with the driver's seat far back is something that is commonly associated with young men while Adina switches it up here and says "you ain't the only one who can drive with 'tude son!"

Destiny's Child - Lose My Breath
No list would be complete without a DC smash on it (or five), I could spew off their entire discography (with the exception of Cater 2 U, because girls, no). The lyric that does it for me in this one, hands down, is "gave you the wheel, but you can't drive me", because it's the ultimate burn ya know? I perceive it as, I gave you a chance to get to know me, impress me and...you failed, so bye.

Britney Spears - Work B*tch
As soon as the bass line on this starts pumping, I am transported to some trashy R'n'B club on a seedy street in Birmingham. I mean sure, she probably will never win an Ivor Novello for the lyrical content, but who cares? Our girl Brit found a catchy way of reinforcing that you can indeed have it all, if you're willing to work for it. 

Gwen Stefani - Hollaback Girl
Firstly, the video for this was B-A-N-A-N-A-S, not to mention all the cheerleader metaphors that were effortlessly woven into this song. Gwen portrays head cheerleader in the visual to show all the lessers, that she does indeed run this shit and triumphantly declares "that's right, I'm the last one standing, another one bites the dust". 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Sanchita Nahar All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger